Saturday 30 June 2018

Week 31 - Activity 7 Applied Practice

This blog will use Rolfe’s (2001) reflective model to discuss indigenous knowledge and cultural responsiveness, focusing on learning activities and a need to develop planning. 


What


At the beginning of my teaching career I viewed Māori as just another group of students in my class that I needed to teach. I got frustrated with the emphasis that was placed on tracking and supporting Māori students when I viewed all my students as needing my support. Over the years and through the research I have done, I have begun to change my view. Cultural responsiveness can be defined as “using the cultural characteristics, experiences and perspectives as conduits for effective teaching” (Gay, 2001, p.106). My school is currently focusing on learning activities, with increased expectations of teaching with cultural responsibility. We are having Māori professional development including professional learning of celebrations and Te Reo lessons with a focus on pronunciation. I found this rather confronting at first as I am not confident at speaking/learning languages but with the focus of my learners at the forefront I have increased my use of Te Reo in my classroom. Although we have a big focus on these learning activities, an area that could continue to be developed is our planning and assessment. At the moment there is no clear guidelines of what is expected to be taught at each year level to develop a progression of Māori and Te Reo. 

So what



Milne (CORE Education, 2017) argues that culture and cultural identity cannot be left to be taught in a timetabled slot. It needs to be modelled, taught and underpin all learning across the curriculum, throughout the school day. Using Milne’s action continuum I think my own practice is predominantly in the purple stage. This year with focusing on cultural responsiveness, through my leadership role, a focus on communicating with whanau and Kaupapa Māori principles in my MindLab studies I have been dipping into the green and red stages. My school has a policy on recognition of cultural diversity that states that “We recognise, value, and celebrate the different cultures represented within our school and wider community, in a variety of ways” (Maraetai Beach School Board of Trustees, 2017). This policy states that as a school we integrate cultural perspectives across the curriculum, share cultural knowledge, practices and beliefs as well as communicating with whanau such as newsletters and hui. Although this is stated in our policy and we strive to live it; are we doing the best that we can to acknowledge and teach Māori “as Māori”?

Now what

Savage et al (2011) states “as teachers invest in learning through relationships with their students, they might then take responsibility for learning to shift their pedagogy in ways that benefit students academically as well as socially and emotionally” (p.195). Professor Russell Bishop (Edtalks, 2012) states that Māori are just as capable of being educated as any other group of people. I believe teachers need to embrace Māori culture and offer learning experiences that all students can relate to that also acknowledge tikanga and āhuatanga. I think if we continue to develop this through professional development and embedding cultural responsiveness into our daily practice then Māori will continue to benefit as they learn and feel valued “as Māori”. Through continuing to think about how to be culturally responsive I need to consider new ways to engage my students. I need to continue to develop my pedagogy and range of strategies. By doing this the planning and resources that are lacking in my school may improve as the students and whanau become one of our biggest resources.


References

Bucher, R. (2008). Building cultural intelligence (CQ): Nine Megaskills. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education Inc.

CORE Education. (2017, 17 October). Dr Ann Milne, Colouring in the white spaces: Reclaiming cultural identity in whitestream schools.[video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cTvi5qxqp4&feature=em-subs_digest

Cowie, B., Otrel-Cass, K., Glynn, T., & Kara, H., et al.(2011).Culturally responsive pedagogy and assessment in primary science classrooms: Whakamana tamariki. Wellington: Teaching Learning Research Initiative. Retrieved from http://www.tlri.org.nz/sites/default/files/projects/9268_cowie-summaryreport.pdf

Edtalks.(2012, September 23). A culturally responsive pedagogy of relations. [video file]. Retrieved from https://vimeo.com/49992994

Gay,G. (2002). Preparing for culturally responsive teaching. Journal of Teacher Education, 53(2),106-116.

Maraetai Beach School Board of Trustees, (2017). Recognition of Cultural Diversity School Docs retrieved from http://maraetaibeach.schooldocs.co.nz/

Milne, A.(2017).Coloring in the white spaces: reclaiming cultural identity in whitestream schools. New York: Peter Lang Publishing, Inc.

Rolfe, G., Freshwater, D., Jasper, M. (2001) Critical reflection in nursing and the helping professions: a user’s guide. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.

Savage,C, Hindleb, R., Meyerc,L., Hyndsa,A., Penetitob, W. & Sleeterd, C.(2011) Culturally responsive pedagogies in the classroom: indigenous student experiences across the curriculum .Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, 39(3), 183–198:




No comments:

Post a Comment