Tuesday 19 June 2018

Week 29 - Activity 5 Applied Practice

For this blog I will reflect on my use of social online networks and Professional Learning Networks (PLNs) in my professional development, using Jay and Johnson’s (2002) reflective model.
Step 1
I use a range of social online network tools, however, I prodeminently use Facebook and Google+ as social networks and forums for professional development. I engage in professional discussions, teaching ideas and learning conversations. I find this is a great way to gain ideas and expand the teaching community that I engage with. I feel that I am good at gaining professional development from these tools but am only just beginning to share my own ideas and knowledge. I am a passive user of various Facebook groups (NZ teachers (primary) Facebook group , Seesaw Teachers and Arty Farty Teachers). However within our school teachers Google+ group I am a more active participant as I share readings, youtube videos, ideas and professional development links with the group. I feel that that the School Google+ is not working as effectively as it could. This could be due to the small amount of teachers that we have so the expertise bank is not as broad. The conversations that I find valuable on other networking sites are the ones that our staff have around the school, as we have a very face to face culture.

Step 2
Through discussions with colleagues and from the MindLab Social Media Tool survey I found teachers prefer to use; social personal networks (Facebook, Google+) and Social forums (Facebook groups, Google+ communities) and Social Streams (Twitter) for their own professional development. A few of my colleagues rave about the use of twitter. Whitaker, Zoul and Casas (2015) discusses the value of growing a P2LN through Twitter. Rehm and Notten (2016) also suggest “Twitter can contribute to the continuous professional development of teachers by initiating and fostering informal learning” (p.215). Through these discussions, research and my reflection on PLNs I have reactivated my Twitter account that I created in week 7 of the MindLab course. I would like to improve how I use social personal networks, social forums and social streams for my own and others professional development. I can improve what is not working by using these tools more regularly and actively contributing to build and invest in PLN networks. This will not only require me to make time to regularly use these tools but also to contribute. Rehm and Notten (2016) state “we must find the time to consistently “take that one minute” to invest in other people as well as ourselves” (p.13). An alternative perspective from my colleagues is spending too much time in our busy lives to achieve this.

Step 3
The implication of using social online networks for professional development is finding the time for effective engagement whilst also being conscious that I do not get stuck with online trawling. This reflective process has highlighted the importance of engaging in social media tools, not only for my own professional development but also the impact my engagement has for other professionals. This will require me to be brave and to put myself out there. Whitaker et al. (2015) suggests a Folllow 5, find 5, take 5 approach to establishing P2LNusing Twitter. To ensure I don’t get trapped in the online world I will use Whitaker et al. (2015) steps to become an active participant in Twitter, whilst managing my time and contributions; ask a question, share a resource, respond to a comment tweeted out by someone else, and, lastly, tweet out something personal” (p.6).

References

Jay, J.K. and Johnson, K.L. (2002). Capturing complexity: a typology of reflective practice for teacher
education. Teaching and Teacher Education, 18, 73-85.
Rehm, M., & Notten, A. (2016). Twitter as an informal learning space for teachers!? The role of social
capital in Twitter conversations among teachers. Teaching And Teacher Education, 60,
215-223. doi: 10.1016/j.tate.2016.08.015
Solis, B. (2018). The Conversation Prism. Retrieved from: https://conversationprism.com/
Whitaker, T., Zoul, J., & Casas, J. (2015). What connected educators do differently. New York, NY:
Routledge.



No comments:

Post a Comment