Saturday 30 June 2018

Week 30 - Activity 6 Applied Practice

Using Rolfe, Freshwater, and Jasper’s (2001) reflective model this weeks blog will discuss a global trend. With many trends to choose from I have decided to reflect on digital learning and technology in education. 

What

The trend of digital learning captivated my attention as I feel I use a lot of digital tools and devices in my teaching but often wonder what impact it has on students learning and how I could better utilise a balance of digital tools and my own teaching to enhance students learning, to better prepare them for the future (academically and digitally). The digital leader at my school has developed a digital fluencies rubric to support teaching and learning (aligning with the new curriculum). Through using this rubric I have moved beyond relying on apps such as mathletics and sunshine online/classics. These apps allow the students to learn through playing games and earning points as they focus on practice and consolidation. I have found that to prepare junior students for digital learning they need to have relevant learning experiences that enhance their learning whilst being engaging and teaching them the digital skills that they will need for future learning. My recent literature review indicated that professional development is a key factor in addressing this trend. Teachers need to be up skilled to best prepare students for developing technologies in an ever changing world, which is what I am currently trying to achieve with up-skilling myself as well as sharing my expertise with other staff.

So what

Daggett (2014) highlights the importance of schools needing to keep up with advances in technology. Furthermore Daggett discusses how much technology we use and rely on in the modern world, “Using technology thoughtfully for instructional purposes will allow us to stretch learners’ thinking in ways that will lead to success in today’s increasingly global economy and rapidly evolving digital environment” (Daggett, 2014, p.4). Digital learning is a global trend as “education has a role to play in providing the skills and competencies needed to operate in this new world” (OECD., 2016, p18). Thus presenting further problems for schools of how much time, professional development and resources (money) should be put into digital learning whilst also engaging learners, and keeping systems and technologies current (CORE education, n.d.). This impacts on mine and others teaching of preparing students to be lifelong learners so they are able to adapt as the world and technologies change.

Now what 

Mastering the balance of the use of digital tools for learning and the personal learning relationships of myself with my students is a task I am still perfecting. I have many students who lack focus when working with me and want to rush through their work to get to a digital task but then are not gaining the instruction and learning that they need to progress from the digital task and often stray from the assigned task. Therefore I need to develop learning tasks and teaching that can enhance learning and reflect my students learning styles. I also need to use my technology expertise and leadership role to lead by example as well as support other staff in up-skilling. As we are time poor I plan on using my growing confidence in sharing online to use our school Google+ account for sharing lessons, research and ideas with staff. My school is already working with the new digital technology curriculum, however from discussions with other schools in our Kahui ako this is not the case across our community of schools which raises the issue of equal opportunities across schools and within schools.


References

CORE Education 2018 Ten Trends document. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://core-ed.org/core-education-2017-ten-trends-document/finished#uff

Daggett, B. (2014). Addressing Current and Future Challenges in Education. Retrieved
from http://www.leadered.com/pdf/2014MSC_AddressingCurrentandFutureChallenges.pdf

OECD. (2016) Trends Shaping Education 2016, OECD Publishing, Paris. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/trends_ edu-2016-en Daggett, B. (2014). Addressing Current and Future Challenges in Education. Retrieved from http://www.leadered.com/pdf/2014MSC_AddressingCurrentandFutu reChallenges.pdf

Rolfe, G., Freshwater, D., Jasper, M. (2001) Critical reflection in nursing and the helping professions: a user’s guide. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.

Whittaker, L (2018). Digital technology overview; MBS Digital Fluencies 2018. Retrieved from http://www.maraetaibeach.school.nz/files/Copy-of-Digital-Fluencies-updated-Feb-18.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment